La historia

Condado de Snohomish LST-1126 - Historia

Condado de Snohomish LST-1126 - Historia


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Condado de Snohomish

(LST-1126: dp. 4.080 (f.) 1. 328'0 ", b. 50'0", dr. 14'1 "; s. 11.6 k. (Tl.); Cp;. 119; a. 4 40 mm; cl. LST 1081)

El condado de Snohomish (LST-1126) fue establecido el 16 de noviembre de 1944 por Chicago Bridge & Iron Co. de Seneca, Ill., Como LST-1126; se lanzó el 9 de febrero de 1945 y partió de Séneca el 23 de febrero para navegar por los ríos Illinois y Mississippi hasta Nueva Orleans. Allí se encargó el LST-1126 el 28 de febrero de 1945, al mando el teniente F. C. Helm, USNR.

Entre 1945 y 1960, el LST-1126 se desplegó en el Pacífico occidental ocho veces. Su primer período de servicio allí se produjo en abril de 1945, cuando partió de Nueva Orleans, transitó por el Canal de Panamá, se detuvo en San Diego, Seattle y Pearl Harbor, antes de continuar hacia el oeste. Mientras continuaba su viaje, visitó el atolón de Eniwetok; Puerto de Apra, Guam; Saipan y Okinawa. A finales de septiembre, se unió a las fuerzas de ocupación posteriores a la Segunda Guerra Mundial en China. Operando frente a la costa oeste de los Estados Unidos desde San Diego cuando no estaba en el Pacífico occidental, el LST-1126 regresó al Lejano Oriente en 1948, 1953, durante los inviernos de 1945-55, 1957, 1958 y 1959-60. El LST también realizó tres recorridos de reabastecimiento de la Línea DEW a Alaska en 1949, 1950 y 1953. Fue el 1 de julio de 1955, justo después de su regreso de su cuarto despliegue en el Pacífico occidental, que el LST fue nombrado condado de Snohomish (1926).

La asignación permanente de un escuadrón LST a Yokosuka, Japón, hizo que el despliegue de 1959-60 en el condado de Snohomish fuera el último hasta la escalada de la guerra de Vietnam. Hasta 1964, operó desde San Diego e hizo dos cruceros MidPac en 1961 y 1962. El segundo crucero fue en apoyo de la Operación "Dominic", una serie de pruebas nucleares. Una vez completada esta tarea, regresó a las operaciones normales a lo largo de la costa del Pacífico.

En 1965, la concentración estadounidense en Vietnam comenzó en serio. En consecuencia, la necesidad de barcos de apoyo creció y el condado de Snohomish regresó al Lejano Oriente una vez más. Hizo turnos de servicio normales (de cinco a siete meses a la vez) en 1965, 1966 y 1967. En 1968 fue enviada a un despliegue prolongado que no terminó hasta la primavera de 1970, justo antes de su desmantelamiento. En cada uno de estos últimos despliegues, el LST hizo el circuito desde Japón a Vietnam hasta Subic Bay en Filipinas. En su mayor parte, transportaba hombres y suministros desde las bases estadounidenses en Japón y Filipinas a Vietnam; aunque, en ocasiones, recibió otras asignaciones, en particular una con operaciones fluviales en 1968. También había puertos de escala como Hong Kong; y Keelung y Kaohsiung, Taiwán, donde la guerra podría olvidarse. Como en el pasado, Snohomish Country reanudó las operaciones normales, los ejercicios, los simulacros y el mantenimiento en San Diego y sus alrededores cuando no se desplegó en el Lejano Oriente.

El 22 de abril de 1970, el condado de Snohomish regresó a su puerto de origen de WestPac, el puerto de Apra, Guam, y pasó por una inspección y reconocimiento. Fue declarada no apta para continuar con el servicio naval. El 1 de julio de 1970, fue dada de baja en la Base Naval de Guam y su nombre fue eliminado de la lista de la Marina. En enero de 1971, su casco fue vendido a Chin Ho Fa Steel and Iron Co., Ltd. de Taiwán para su desguace.

El condado de Snohomish (LST-1126) recibió ocho estrellas de batalla por su servicio en la Guerra de Vietnam.


Everett y el condado de Snohomish, Washington, Recursos de investigación

Mientras profundizo en la historia más reciente de mi familia, el condado de Snohomish y Everett, Washington, y las áreas circundantes jugaron un papel muy importante no solo en mi vida, educación y cultura, sino también en varias ramas de mi familia, especialmente en Occidente. y lados de Knapp.

La familia West vino de Michigan para talar el noroeste del Pacífico, sobreviviendo en campamentos de tala en bruto a principios de siglo. Una familia de aventureros, llegaron al Mayflower y trajeron & # 8220civilization & # 8221 a lo que se convirtió en los Estados Unidos. Sin dejar un gran impacto en el condado de Snohomish, mi abuelo Howard W.West protegió las aguas del noroeste del Pacífico en el mar y tierra adentro durante toda su vida, sirviendo en el nuevo USS Arizona 15 años antes de Pearl Harbor, criando a sus hijos en Marysville y luego en el Friday Harbor Lighthouse, y muriendo como seguridad para Chief Joseph Dam.

La familia Knapp de mi madre se vio obligada por la Depresión a dejar atrás a su amada, pero la pobreza y las luchas en la comunidad maderera de Taylor Rapids, Wisconsin, por la costa oeste, en busca de una vida mejor. Sin saber nada más que la tala, se unieron a los campamentos madereros en Oregon hasta que un incendio destruyó lo poco que les quedaba. Se mudaron al desierto del condado de Snohomish para trabajar en la granja de lechugas Frye en Monroe, luego los equipos de tala abrieron caminos a través de las colinas boscosas de las montañas para construir lo que ahora es Old Highway 2.

Dos de los hermanos Knapp se casaron con miembros de la familia Elwell, descendientes del Jefe Seattle. Robert Knapp se quedó con su esposa, Evelyn Elwell (de Charles Elwell y Laura Stillman), en Lake Stevens. Lloyd se casó con Irene Elwell y se mudó al este de Washington. Wayne Knapp se casó con un miembro de la familia Odell de Snohomish, otra familia de primeros colonos, fusionando aún más a los nativos americanos con los inmigrantes blancos.

El capitán Elwell, suegro, contrató a Robert y Wayne en el remolcador, Skagit Chief, que maniobraba troncos a través de las traicioneras vías fluviales de los ríos Snohomish y Skagit y Puget Sound. A medida que se abrieron las carreteras, la carga se movió desde las vías fluviales y los dos hermanos Knapp encontraron trabajo como guardias de seguridad en la prisión estatal de Monroe. Wayne pronto se trasladó a Seattle y se abrió camino hasta llegar al jefe de seguridad de Boeing.

El condado de Snohomish tiene una larga historia, que se remonta a los nativos americanos. Everett, Washington, jugó un papel en las dos guerras mundiales como puerto protegido para el océano Pacífico. Recientemente, se encontró un cañón de la Primera Guerra Mundial en Clark Park en Everett en Lombard Avenue, aunque no se perdió en el sentido de perdido en la historia, sino del parque en un misterio de más de 10 años. Fue encontrado en un área de mantenimiento del parque, olvidado e ignorado. La ciudad ahora está tratando de averiguar cómo restaurar y / o proteger este patio de recreo para que yo y los niños trepen y finjan que estamos luchando contra el enemigo en la bahía.

El aeropuerto Paine Field recibió su nombre de un piloto en la Primera Guerra Mundial, y la planta de Boeing en Mukilteo, al suroeste de Everett, sigue siendo uno de los edificios más grandes del mundo en una sola planta, así como un importante impulsor de la economía y el transporte mundiales. sistema. La bahía de Port Gardner, una vez llena de troncos arrastrados por las laderas del monte Pilchuck y en todo el condado de Snohomish, todavía alberga los restos de la fábrica de papel, parte de lo que sacó a Everett de la Gran Depresión cuando la tala se secó. Ahora se ve empequeñecido por el nuevo puerto deportivo y la base naval de al lado.

Everett era un cruce de caminos para el transporte en todas direcciones. Desde el mar hasta las montañas al este a través de la autopista 2, luego complementada por la autopista North Cascades que conecta la parte noroeste del área con el este de Washington durante las épocas transitables del año. Al norte se encuentra Vancouver, Canadá, a lo largo de la Interestatal 5, y al sur, a lo largo de la misma carretera, se encuentra la ciudad industrial de Seattle y puntos más allá hasta México.

Desde los primeros años, Everett y el condado de Snohomish jugaron un papel crucial en la vida de los nativos americanos cuando fueron reunidos y reubicados en la Reserva Tulalip, hogar no de los indios Tulalip, sino un punto de tierra considerado tierra baldía por los funcionarios del gobierno a lo largo de las llanuras fangosas de Port Gardner Bay y Puget Sound. Hoy en día, alberga uno de los casinos y hoteles más populares del estado, y brinda a todos nombres populares en entretenimiento y juegos de azar y bingo sin parar.

Hay mucha historia que descubrir en Everett y el condado de Snohomish, tanto para mí como para mi familia. Si bien Everett, Washington, tiene su propia página de Wikipedia, le recomiendo que se tome un tiempo para leer Mill Town: A Social History of Everett, Washington, from Its Earliest Beginnings on the Shores of Puget Sound to the Trgic and I (Washington Papers) por Norman H. Clark para aprender más sobre esta increíble región y su historia.

Google tiene una fascinante cronología del historial de búsquedas de Everett, Washington. Es un poco engañoso que haya un Everett, Massachusetts, y muchas personas nombraron Everett como nombre y apellido, y muchas referencias a George Washington, por quien se nombró el estado, y un Edward Everett de Washington DC y George Washington. historia, por lo que los resultados que se remontan a 1760 se relacionan con artículos publicados sobre esos temas no relacionados. Sin embargo, hay algunas joyas históricas en las referencias publicadas en la web que cubren los disturbios de Bellingham de 1907 que luego migraron a la Cárcel de Everett, la Masacre de Everett (una disputa laboral que se volvió mortal en 1916), el incendio del juzgado de 1909, anuncios de la compañía y noticias, venta y desarrollo de propiedades, muchos obituarios, biografías, documentos gubernamentales y más.

Un tesoro que descubrí a través de la búsqueda en la línea de tiempo de Google fue un anuncio en el Archivo de noticias de envío de Great Lakes & # 038 Seaway de septiembre de 2007:

El sábado 19 de septiembre de 1891, a las 11:00 a.m., el vapor ballenero CHARLES W WETMORE partió de Filadelfia, Pensilvania, cargado con los materiales para construir un molino de clavos, una fundición de hierro y un astillero para la nueva ciudad de Everett, Washington. Su patrón era el capitán Joseph B. Hastings y tenía una tripulación de 22.

Una de las calles principales de Everett, a lo largo de la cual vivía mi tatarabuelo, Perry West, es Wetmore. No sabía que un barco de vapor había sido nombrado por el hombre, y cómo ese nombre llegó a la historia de Everett.

Aquí hay una lista de referencia de algunos de los sitios históricos que encontré en línea que ayudan a contar la historia y la historia del área.


HistoryLink.org

La tribu Snohomish comprendía la mayor población de nativos americanos en esta área del condado. Vivían a lo largo de las costas de Puget Sound desde Warm Beach hasta Richmond Beach y a lo largo del río Snohomish hasta Monroe. Los Stillaguamish (Stoluck-wha-mish) vivían a lo largo de las bifurcaciones norte y sur del río Stillaguamish, cerca de la actual Stanwood the Skykomish (Skai-wha-mish), a lo largo del río Skykomish, ahora Sultan y al norte de Index the Sauk- Suiattle (Sak-ku-me hu) en el área que ahora es Darrington y Snoqualmie (Suqualmoo) cerca de las actuales Duvall y Monroe. Las tribus hablaban lushootseed, la mayoría usaba el dialecto del norte, y seguían el ciclo tradicional de pesca, caza y recolección.

Hibulb (también hibulob o Hebolb) era su pueblo principal. Situado en el extremo norte de la actual península de Everett, Hebolb estaba orientado tanto hacia el río Snohomish como hacia la bahía de Port Gardner. Una empalizada de cedro defendía a los aldeanos de las tribus en guerra.

Exploración europea y americana

El capitán británico George Vancouver (1757-1798) aterrizó en la playa al sur de Hebolb el 4 de junio de 1792, reclamando la región de Puget Sound para el rey Jorge III y nombrando lugares cercanos como Puget Sound, Port Gardner Bay y Port Susan Bay. Vancouver no notó el río Snohomish, pero los registros de la bahía de Hudson lo enumeran en 1824 como "Sinnahamis". El río fue catalogado como "Tuxpam" por la expedición del gobierno estadounidense de Charles Wilkes (1798-1877) en 1841. La forma actual "Snohomish" data del U.S. Coastal Survey de 1854.

El 22 de enero de 1855, el gobernador Isaac Stevens (1818-1862) y 81 líderes tribales se reunieron en Point Elliott (ahora Mukilteo) para firmar un tratado entre las tribus regionales y el gobierno de los Estados Unidos. El jefe Snoqualmie Patkanim (c. 1808-1858) representó a las bandas Snohomish, Snoqualmie y Skykomish, cediendo sus tierras a cambio de dinero en efectivo, derechos de caza y pesca, y una reserva establecida en Tulalip. El sacerdote católico francés, el padre Eugene Casimir Chirouse (1821-1892), fue asignado a Tulalip en 1856, estableciendo la misión de Santa Ana y un internado gubernamental.

Asentamiento blanco temprano

El asentamiento de Tulalip Bay de 1853 ha sido descrito como el lugar de nacimiento del condado de Snohomish. El pionero de Whidbey Island John Gould (1823-1900), el trampero de la bahía de Hudson Peter Goutre (1804-1875) y Jehial Hall reclamaron a lo largo de la bahía de Tulalip (ahora parte de la reserva de Tulalip). Charles C. Phillips (1824-1867), que dirigía un servicio de correo en canoa, y el pionero de Seattle, el Dr. Wesley Cherry (? -1854), se unieron a Gould para crear Tulalip Mill Company y comenzaron a operar un aserradero accionado por agua. Hall otorgó acceso a agua, tierra y madera a su tierra a cambio de una asociación en el molino. La empresa duró poco: los indios mataron a Cherry al año siguiente y se formó la reserva de Tulalip en este lugar.

Con la esperanza de controlar los disturbios indios después del tratado, la Compañía I, Primer Regimiento de Voluntarios del Territorio de Washington, bajo el mando del Coronel Isaac Ebey (1818-1857), fue enviada a construir un fuerte en el río Snohomish. Los hombres abordaron la goleta Trask en noviembre de 1855 y fueron remolcados por el vapor Viajero a una pequeña isla en la cabecera de Ebey Slough, a una milla al sureste de Lowell. Aquí los hombres erigieron un tosco edificio de troncos de cedro y lo bautizaron como "Fort Ebey". Se retiraron del sitio a principios de 1856, luego de un invierno sin incidentes.

En 1860, el funcionario de aduanas federal de Port Townsend, Morris H. Frost (1804-1882), construyó una tienda y un salón en Mukilteo, y convenció a Jacob Fowler (1837-1892) de Ebey's Landing para que se uniera a él como socio comercial. El pionero Emory C. Ferguson (1833-1911) buscó oportunidades a lo largo del río Snohomish y finalmente se estableció en lo que se convertiría en Snohomish City. Ferguson trasladó una casa prefabricada a este lugar y se convirtió en residente permanente en 1860. Su pequeña casa sigue en pie hoy.

A medida que la población crecía, los colonos locales solicitaron a la legislatura territorial que desarrollara un condado separado, y el 14 de enero de 1861 se formó el condado de Snohomish, originalmente parte del condado de Island. Mukilteo se convirtió en la sede temporal del condado hasta que las elecciones de julio lo trasladaron a Snohomish.

Las ricas tierras de cultivo y el fácil acceso al agua atrajeron a los colonos, y también comenzaron los asentamientos en Lowell, Monroe, Stanwood y Edmonds. A medida que se acercaba la condición de Estado de Washington, Snohomish City se convirtió en el centro cultural, financiero y político del condado. La pequeña comunidad ahora incluía una escuela, una biblioteca, una colección de ciencias e incluso una Sociedad Athenaeum. En 1876, el periodista Eldridge Morse comenzó a publicar un periódico territorial muy respetado llamado La estrella del norte.

Durante los años territoriales de Washington, la península que se convertiría en Everett fue explotada principalmente por empresas atraídas por sus árboles maduros y la proximidad a los molinos de Port Gamble y Utsaladdy. Aproximadamente una docena de colonos y ocupantes ilegales también eligieron este lugar.

En 1862, el solitario Dennis Brigham (1807-1887) se instaló junto a la bahía. Erskine D. Kromer (1836-1885) llegó a tender líneas telegráficas, se quedó, tomó una reclamación de propiedad, se casó con una mujer Coast Salish y comenzó a formar una familia. Ese mismo año, Jacob (1837-1916) y David Livingston (1830-1913) planificaron un desarrollo en el lado de la bahía (actual Harborview Park, Everett) y lo llamaron Western New York. Si bien los hermanos Livingston vendieron solo unos pocos lotes, construyeron y operaron el primer aserradero a vapor del condado. Al año siguiente, Leander Taylor y Clarence Bagley abrieron una tienda en el sitio de Hebolb y construyeron el balandro Rebecca. En la década de 1870, Mukilteo se jactaba de tener la fábrica de cerveza Eagle, así como la primera fábrica de conservas de pescado en el territorio de Washington.

El ferrocarril, la fiebre del oro y Everett

El condado de Snohomish creció, al igual que todo el noroeste del Pacífico, con la llegada del ferrocarril. El 4 de julio de 1889, Joseph Pearsall descubrió oro y reclamó Monte Cristo. Esto atrajo a los prospectores al área y ayudó a solidificar los planes para el desarrollo de una ciudad industrial en Port Gardner Bay.

Con la esperanza de que el Great Northern Railroad primero tocara la marea aquí, el maderero de Tacoma Henry Hewitt Jr. (1840-1918) convenció a los inversionistas de la costa este, incluido John D. Rockefeller (1839-1937), de invertir en la ciudad que se convertiría en Everett. Con el dinero de Rockefeller en la mezcla, pronto se unieron otros especuladores, convencidos de que una empresa de Rockefeller no podía fallar. Así se formó la Everett Land Company y los equipos de trabajo comenzaron a limpiar la tierra en el verano de 1891.

La economía de Everett se desarrolló en torno a cuatro industrias principales: una fábrica de clavos, una fundición, una barcaza ballena y una fábrica de papel en Lowell. Pero el pánico plateado de 1893 detuvo el boom y Rockefeller vendió sus intereses. Cuando la economía nacional mejoró en 1899, las propiedades de Everett Land Company se transfirieron a Everett Improvement Company, financiada con dinero del magnate ferroviario James J. Hill (1838-1916). Pronto Everett tuvo muchos molinos de madera y tejas, herrería, establecimientos de construcción naval, una fábrica de cerveza, un molino de harina y una fábrica de conservas en el paseo marítimo. The Improvement Company también construyó parques urbanos y un teatro.

Se produjo una amarga controversia sobre la ubicación de la sede del condado entre la ciudad establecida de Snohomish y la ciudad advenediza de Everett. Esta controversia se prolongó desde 1894 hasta 1897 a través de votaciones públicas, apelaciones y fallos judiciales. Ambas partes alegaron irregularidades en la votación. Everett se convirtió en la sede del condado en 1897.

Trabajo, administración y progresistas

Para 1910 se estimó que una quinta parte de la población de Everett estaba empleada en las fábricas, donde las condiciones de trabajo eran peligrosas y prolongadas. Los ferrocarriles y la tala presentaban los mismos peligros. Los sindicatos ganaron una base sólida y temprana en Everett. Cuando el primer número de la Diario Laboral fue publicado en Everett el 26 de febrero de 1903, el periódico enumeró 31 sindicatos con una membresía combinada de 2.500 en una ciudad cuya población total era de aproximadamente 10.000. Los sindicatos de cocineros y camareros, lavanderos y cigarros incluían mujeres en sus filas.

Los empresarios y los empresarios madereros eran fuertes opositores a los sindicatos, y el condado de Snohomish se convirtió en un terreno fértil para discutir cuestiones laborales. Los altavoces de caja de jabón eran comunes, particularmente en Everett, donde había muchos progresistas, incluso socialistas. El senador estatal John Campbell (1880-1924), un progresista de Everett y un Diario Laboral gerente, aprobó un proyecto de ley de jornada laboral de 8 horas para las mujeres de Washington en 1911. La periodista Anna Agnes Maley (1872-1918) llegó a Everett para editar el periódico socialista, el Mancomunidad, y se quedó el tiempo suficiente para postularse para gobernador del estado de Washington en 1912.

Los Trabajadores Industriales del Mundo (IWW o Wobblies) obtuvieron un fuerte apoyo en los campamentos madereros del condado de Snohomish. Como lo expresó un viejo leñador en una entrevista de 1974, "Casi tenías que unirte" (Wardell). En Everett, sin embargo, uno se unió al peligro. Los miembros de IWW fueron incluidos en la lista negra, sin poder encontrar trabajo en las fábricas. Cuando los tejedores de tejas de Everett se declararon en huelga por los salarios, los Wobblies lo apoyaron. Los hechos culminaron el 5 de noviembre de 1916 con la Masacre de Everett, un enfrentamiento laboral entre la IWW y los agentes de la ley del condado que dejó dos diputados y al menos cinco Wobblies muertos, con decenas más heridos.

Primera Guerra Mundial hasta 1929

La Primera Guerra Mundial acabó con las esperanzas de los radicales y el condado de Snohomish respaldó sólidamente el esfuerzo bélico. La economía predominante ahora era la explotación de madera, con 130 fábricas de madera y tejas, incluidas Weyerhaeuser, Clough-Hartley, Jamison, Index-Galena, Sultan Railway and Timber, Rucker Brothers Mill, Puget Mill Company (Pope y Talbot) y Merrill & Ring Logging. . El terremoto de Tokio de 1923 provocó un auge de la madera en el noroeste del Pacífico, sacando a la región de la recesión y fomentando el desarrollo que duró hasta el colapso de la bolsa de valores.

La base agrícola del condado de Snohomish también creció con la adición de lecherías y granjas de huevos. Alderwood Manor se creó cuando Puget Mill Company vendió terrenos de cinco acres y construyó una granja de demostración de huevos y aves de corral. Arlington Condensery comenzó en 1921 y funcionó hasta finales de la década de 1950.

La gran depresión del condado de Snohomish

Durante los tiempos difíciles de la década de 1930, los informes del gobierno enumeraron al condado de Snohomish como uno de los condados más necesitados del estado. Su pesada economía se derrumbó. Los molinos cerraron y reiniciaron, solo para cerrar nuevamente. El condado de Snohomish se apresuró a hacer fila para recibir ayuda gubernamental emitida a través de la Ley Nacional de Recuperación Industrial (NRA), la Administración de Progreso de Obras (WPA) y la Corporación de Conservación Civil (CCC).

Los proyectos principales incluyeron la expansión del Parque Forestal de Everett, una nueva Biblioteca Pública de Everett, el Auditorio Cívico de Everett y un aeropuerto del condado, los inicios de Paine Field. Los trabajadores de CCC construyeron campamentos importantes en Darrington, Sultan e Index, las estaciones de guardia del edificio de oficinas Verlot en Index, Barlow Pass, Bedal y Suiattle River y crearon el Distrito de Guardabosques de Monte Cristo.

Políticos de Washington

Las décadas de 1920 y 1930 vieron el surgimiento de mujeres políticas, incluida Alice Kerr (1858-1949), que se convirtió en alcaldesa de Edmonds en diciembre de 1925, tres meses antes de que Bertha Knight Landes (1868-1943) asumiera el cargo de alcaldesa de Seattle.

El propietario republicano del molino Roland H. Hartley (1864-1951) de Everett se convirtió en gobernador en 1924 y cumplió dos períodos conflictivos en el cargo. Monrad C. Wallgren (1891-1961) de Everett fue elegido miembro de la Cámara de Representantes de Estados Unidos en 1932. Como candidato demócrata al New Dealer, Wallgren fue reelegido para tres períodos más en la Cámara y luego para un período como senador de Estados Unidos en 1940, y luego se desempeñó como decimotercer gobernador del estado de Washington. Quizás el político más influyente del condado de Snohomish fue el demócrata Henry M. Jackson (1912-1983) de Everett, cuya carrera en el Congreso se extendió desde 1940 hasta su muerte en 1983.

Crecimiento de la Segunda Guerra Mundial y la posguerra

Tras el bombardeo de Pearl Harbor, los ciudadanos de Everett protegieron sus muelles, al principio mirando por turnos desde lo alto del edificio médico dental de la ciudad. Everett Pacific Shipbuilding and Drydock Company, operado por Pacific Car and Foundry of Seattle, comenzó la producción durante la guerra en el muelle de Everett en 1942. Everett Marine Ways, el Astillero Carl E. Edlund y el Astillero Stanwood contrataron la construcción de barcos para la Armada como bien. El aeropuerto de Arlington se convirtió en una base naval, proporcionando Grumman Fighters para el servicio en el Pacífico. Boeing Aircraft Company operaba dos plantas de ensamblaje de aviones en Everett, empleando principalmente a mujeres. En 1943, Paine Field se convirtió en una base militar.

El crecimiento posterior a la Segunda Guerra Mundial en el noroeste del Pacífico conectó rápidamente las áreas rurales y los pueblos pequeños. La construcción de la carretera unió a Stanwood, Snohomish y Monroe con Everett, Seattle, Tacoma y Bellingham. Y pueblos como Edmonds, Brier, Woodway, Mountlake Terrace y Lynnwood se expandieron, sofocando lo que quedaba de Meadowdale y Alderwood Manor. Los límites de Bothell se trasladaron al norte del condado de King. Confinado por su península, Everett se expandió hacia el sur. los Everett Herald comenzó su Oficina del Sur del Condado en mayo de 1954. La madera todavía dominaba la economía, pero ahora los madereros usaban aserraderos portátiles y camiones para transportar fácilmente los troncos para la molienda.

La presencia de Boeing

En 1967, Boeing comenzó a construir la planta 747 cerca del campo Paine de Everett, iniciando así un rápido crecimiento de la población en el condado. La pequeña ciudad de Mukilteo experimentó cambios inmediatos cuando se construyó una empinada línea ferroviaria a través de Japanese Gulch desde las vías Great Northern en el casco antiguo de Mukilteo hasta el sitio de la planta de Boeing.

A los residentes se les dijo que la nueva industria sería "a prueba de recesión", pero Boeing pronto sufrió los tiempos difíciles a nivel nacional que comenzaron en 1970. Boeing ha seguido teniendo buenos y malos momentos, pero sigue siendo el empleador individual más grande del condado.

Décadas recientes

Los problemas de crecimiento han dominado la vida de la ciudad y el condado desde la década de 1970. Gran parte de las tierras agrícolas del condado se han vendido para bienes raíces, y las carreteras que alguna vez fueron pintorescas se han convertido en carreteras con números en lugar de nombres. Cuando se planeó un puerto base de la Marina de Everett en la década de 1980, se formó un grupo de ciudadanos para oponerse a estos planes. Pero el despido de 300 trabajadores de Weyerhaeuser y su anuncio de cerrar las operaciones de Everett reunieron a los votantes para apoyar de manera abrumadora la Estación Naval de Everett, que se inauguró en 1994.

Los ecologistas han podido preservar importantes humedales y hábitats naturales del condado, y en 2006 el sitio web del condado cuenta con un estuario del río Snohomish que admite 350 tipos de aves, mamíferos y plantas. Se ha puesto en marcha un nuevo programa del condado para salvar las tierras de cultivo restantes y los espacios abiertos, y el gobierno del condado fomenta un programa de recuperación del salmón del río Snohomish para salvar una población de peces menguante.

En 2006, el condado de Snohomish es una de las comunidades de más rápido crecimiento en los Estados Unidos. Su economía es una mezcla de tecnología, aeroespacial, negocios basados ​​en servicios, comercio de la construcción y turismo. El condado es el hogar de tres tribus nativas americanas reconocidas a nivel federal, Stillaguamish, Sauk-Seattle y Tulalip. Los Tulalips (originalmente las bandas Snohomish, Snoqualmie y Skykomish) se han vuelto prósperos gracias a sus casinos y empresas inmobiliarias. Planean expandir el casino, agregar más tiendas, un hotel y un museo tribal tan esperado.

Boeing se encuentra actualmente en una ola de prosperidad. Lynnwood planea permitir edificios de 35 pisos, y Snohomish está luchando por adaptarse al crecimiento necesario mientras mantiene su carácter rural e histórico de alojamiento y desayuno. Everett, con una población de 101.100 habitantes en 2006, tiene planes monumentales que incluyen la reestructuración de zonas para el desarrollo de alta densidad en el distrito comercial central y la zona ribereña. A pesar de estos cambios, todavía hay un fuerte sentimiento rural en muchas de las ciudades más pequeñas del condado de Snohomish, como Index, Granite Falls, Arlington, Verlot y Darrington. Los visitantes no necesitan viajar muy lejos para llegar a algunas de las áreas recreativas más pintorescas del estado de Washington.

Montaña del Caballo Blanco de Darrington

Postal cortesía de la Biblioteca Pública de Everett

Condado de Snohomish, Washington

Cortesía del Departamento de Agricultura de EE. UU.

Monte Cristo, 1896

Cortesía de la colección Cameron / Lindgren.

Escuela secundaria, Snohomish, década de 1900

Registro en el distrito de Wagner, condado de Snohomish, 1900

Cortesía de la Biblioteca Pública de Everett (Neg.0212)

Faro de Mukilteo (Carl Leick, 1906), 1908

Foto de Robert J. Young, cortesía de la Biblioteca Pública de Everett (Neg.0212)

Aserradero Clough-Hartley, Everett, 1915

Cortesía de la Biblioteca Pública de Everett (Neg. JMills-Clough-Hartley)

Cuenca glaciar, condado de Snohomish

Postal cortesía de la Biblioteca Pública de Everett

Paseo marítimo de Everett, ca. 1900

Postal cortesía de la Biblioteca Pública de Everett

Día del Tratado, reserva india de Tulalip, 1914

Foto de J. A. Juleen, cortesía de la Biblioteca Pública de Everett (Neg. JTreatyDay-9)

Works Progress Administration plantación de árboles, Forest Park, Everett, ca. 1935

Cortesía de la Biblioteca Pública de Everett (Neg. 1178)

Mount Index y Stevens Pass Highway, década de 1940

Edificio de la administración, reformatorio estatal, Monroe, década de 1940

Puente de Lincoln, río Stillaguamish, Arlington, década de 1900

Hartford Eastern Railway vagón en frente de Big Four Inn, Big Four Mountain, principios de la década de 1930


USS Snohomish County navega en un ex marinero & # 8217s sitio web

Déjame caer, solíamos ser famosos. Había un barco llamado USS Snohomish County (LST 1126).

Suboficial de tercera clase Calhoun & ldquoBuddy & rdquo Benton sirvió en el barco desde 1953 hasta 1957 como electricista y compañero de rsquos. El nativo de Carolina del Sur ama ese barco desaparecido hace mucho tiempo. Dijo que espera algún día encontrar un ancla o una campana para poner en un museo en honor a este condado y rsquos tocayo.

Muchos barcos anfibios, como el condado de Snohomish, se construyeron durante ese período, pero nunca fueron nombrados y fueron desmantelados después de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, luego vendidos o entregados a otros países, dijo.

Durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, dijo Benton, se decidió que se necesitaba un nuevo tipo de barco para la guerra anfibia. Se construyeron más de 1.000 tanques de barcos de desembarco. Muchos de ellos se utilizaron en la invasión de Normandía, Francia del Día D de 1944.

Benton, que tenía 19 años cuando subió a bordo, compiló una historia del barco, que sirvió en la Segunda Guerra Mundial y la Guerra de Corea. A continuación se muestran algunos aspectos destacados:

1954: El barco hizo su cuarto viaje al Océano Pacífico occidental.

1955: el 1 de julio de 1955 fue nombrado condado de USS Snohomish (LST 1126). Esta fue la primera vez que se dio nombre a los tanques de los barcos de desembarco.

Dan Bates / El Heraldo

1956: Realiza su quinta gira por el Pacífico occidental.

1957: Dejó su puerto base de San Diego y se dirigió a Japón.

1958: Organizó una fiesta de Navidad para un orfanato en Kure, Japón.

1959: Las visitas a los puertos incluyeron Sasebo, Japón Subic Bay, Filipinas y Chin Hai, Corea.

1960: Recibió entrenamiento anfibio en San Diego.

1961: Participó en la Operación Greenlight, una de las operaciones conjuntas más grandes jamás realizadas en la Costa Oeste.

1962: Transporte de suministros a un sitio de prueba de bomba atómica. Aunque a millas de distancia, algunos marineros pudieron ver los efectos de las explosiones nucleares en la Isla de Navidad.

1963: Transportó 24,750 toneladas de vehículos y equipos de la Marina y el Ejército, y 6,600 soldados, y navegó 12,177 millas, todo sin perder un solo compromiso.

1964: De regreso de Hawaii, regresó a una apretada agenda de operaciones locales.

1965: El condado de Snohomish comenzó sus primeras operaciones en Vietnam en marzo, entregando marines a Da Nang.

1966: Sirvió en Japón, Hawái, China y Vietnam.

1967: Seleccionado por el Comandante de la Actividad de Apoyo Naval para participar en el varado inicial de los tanques de los barcos de desembarco en la cuenca del río Cua Viet cerca de Dong Ha, Vietnam.

1968: Visitó Newport, Oregon, y recibió a 2.500 visitantes a bordo durante el Día de la Lealtad.

1969: Más tiempo en Vietnam, Japón y Filipinas.

1970: El 28 de febrero, el condado de USS Snohomish celebró su 25 aniversario de servicio continuo.

El 22 de abril de 1970, el barco partió de Japón hacia Guam en su último viaje. A su llegada a Guam, el condado de Snohomish fue declarado no apto para el mar. Fue desmantelado el 1 de julio de 1970 y vendido como chatarra a Chin Ho Fa Steel & # 38Iron Co. Ltd. de Taiwán.

"No hay tanques de desembarco en la Marina", dijo Benton. & ldquoEl último fue regalado hace un par de años. & rdquo

La investigación de Benton & rsquos está disponible en http://lst1126.com. Le gustaría que su sitio web estuviera vinculado al sitio web del condado de Snohomish y la sección de historia de rsquos para que la gente pueda aprender sobre el barco, dijo.

En junio, en el condado de Whitfield, Georgia, se entregarán artefactos del condado de USS Whitfield a un grupo que planea exhibir la campana del barco y rsquos, un modelo y su historia.

"Seguro que sería bueno que el condado de Snohomish hiciera algo similar", dijo Benton.

Probablemente sea demasiado tarde para conseguir la campana o el ancla, pero podemos preservar la memoria del barco.


HistoryLink.org

Snohomish, ubicado en el condado de Snohomish, es una pequeña ciudad de 9,000 residentes, pintorescamente ubicada en la ladera de la orilla norte de su río homónimo. Fluyendo hacia el noroeste, el río Snohomish comienza seis millas río arriba en la confluencia de los ríos Snoqualmie y Skykomish, cerca de la actual Monroe, y termina unas 12 millas río abajo donde desemboca en Port Gardner Bay (parte de Puget Sound) entre Everett y Marysville. El nombre Snohomish City se usó por primera vez en la plataforma de 1871 que unía los reclamos occidental y oriental en Union Avenue, luego de tres cuadras de largo. (El "Snoh-" [Sdhub-] puede estar relacionado con la palabra Lushootseed para hombre [stub]. El sufijo "–omish" significa gente en Lushootseed, el idioma hablado por los Snohomish y otros pueblos indígenas de la zona). presentó reclamos en ambos lados del río en 1859 pensando que el tráfico en una nueva carretera militar pagaría generosamente por un servicio de cruce de ferry. No iba a ser. Instead, a steady increase in steamship service brought loggers and supplies to camps up and down the river, followed by family farmers. Snohomish grew to become the economic and cultural center of the county, and served as county seat for 36 years (which it lost to Everett in 1897). Since 1973, a 26-block area has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Geography and Early History

Stretching from present-day Everett to Snoqualmie Falls, some 60 miles to the south, Glacier Lake Snohomish drained through the Redmond Delta approximately 14,000 years ago, and the Snohomish, Snoqualmie, and Skykomish rivers were incised into the valley floor. The town site is located on a low-elevation landform known as the Getchell Hill Plateau, flanked by the Snohomish Estuary to the west, the Pilchuck outwash channel to the east, and the Snohomish River Valley to the south. The river valley is wide and flat, created through thousands of years of glacial movement and flowing meltwater, and bounded by morainal hills with steep sides -- often described in scientific literature as a "bathtub."

The river itself is characterized by meander arms and oxbow lakes, which developed as the river flooded and changed course within the expansive valley. Hunter-fisher-gatherer sites identified along the Snohomish and Pilchuck rivers indicate human habitation beginning as early as 8,000 years ago. However, the sea level did not stabilize in the Puget Sound region until around 5,000 years ago at that time salmon runs and shellfish beds became established and could be eventually harvested.

On January 22, 1855, Chief Pat Kanim (ca. 1808-1858), representing the Snohomish, Snoqualmie, and Skykomish peoples, made his mark on the Treaty of Point Elliott, just below that of Chief Seattle. With that mark, the three bands agreed to exchange their lands of thick forests, threaded with the three major rivers bearing their names, for cash, and a reservation of land called Tulalip.

First Settlers

One by one, Egbert H. Tucker (1833-1912), Heil Barnes (1828-1910?) and Edson Cady (1828-?) were the first white men recorded as making the 12-mile journey up the dark river that parted the thick forests of giant Douglas-firs and western red cedars. Their mutual goal was to reach the mouth of the Pilchuck River, with the intention of staking claims on both sides of the Snohomish River. This location, where the Pilchuck drains into the Snohomish, was determined by reading rudimentary maps back in the south sound settlement of Steilacoom. Steilacoom was the site of the oldest military fort of the territory, established in 1847. There a group of frontier businessmen drew together over the prospect of providing a ferry service across the Snohomish River for the recently funded military road heading north to Fort Bellingham. The imagined site for the ferry crossing was identified on a later map published by the United States Surveyor General as the Kwehtlamanish Winter Village.

Edson Cady, for reasons lost to history, decided to establish a landing several miles downstream instead, either because of the established Indian camp or because the new site was a better location for a ferry crossing. In any event, Cady applied for a post office permit with the name “Cadyville,” which today is called Cady Landing, a popular boat launch for recreational fishing. Cady also established a trail heading east, eventually crossing the North Cascade Mountain Range at a location still known today as Cady Pass.

Heil Barnes, at the same time, staked a claim for Emory C. Ferguson (1833-1911) adjacent to Cady’s to the west, where he assembled a small, pre-fabricated cottage on a high bank facing down river, close to where it stands today as a private home, handsomely restored. Built by Ferguson in Steilacoom, the cottage was disassembled and shipped north aboard the side-wheeler Ranger No. 2 in the spring of 1859. Apprenticed as a carpenter in the place of his birth in in Westchester County, New York, Ferguson arrived a year later aboard the same side-wheeler with enough supplies to establish a store.

Meanwhile, across the river, Tucker sold his claim to John Harvey (1828-1886) from England via Seattle. With the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, the Regular Army abandoned both Forts Steilacoom and Bellingham and government funding for the military road dried up, leaving only a muddy trail through the woods stopping at the river’s edge on the south bank. There would be no immediate need for a ferry. Tucker was probably relieved that he got even $50 for his claim after all, Harvey had just received $2,000 for his lakefront claim on the future Lake Washington, and it had been destroyed in the 1856 episode of the treaty wars known as the “Battle of Seattle.”

All of the Steilacoom investors pulled out of the deal except Ferguson -- who went on to become a popular after-dinner speaker with his stories about the founding of Snohomish City, and the county. In an extemporaneous speech given in 1889, Ferguson told his audience that Snohomish County was created "because there were more politicians than there were counties and the matter was adjusted by making another county instead of killing some of the politicians” (Dilgard).

Snohomish County was established on January 14, 1861, when it was separated from Island County, but it was not until July that the votes for the location of the county seat went Ferguson’s way, and he returned from Mukilteo with the county records in his vest pocket, making his little cottage overlooking the river the first county courthouse. The settler population was 49 men and 0 women. But by the time Ferguson built and opened his Blue Eagle Saloon in 1865, Mary and Woodbury Sinclair had purchased the Cady claim and established a store of logging supplies across the steep path to the river.

Mary Low Sinclair (1842-1922), daughter of John and Lydia Low, was one of the youngest members of the Denny Party that arrived at Alki Point in 1851, only 11 years old and now she was the first white woman to take up residence in a riverside landing that was “a small clearing in unbroken timber,” to use her words, and still referred to as Cadyville up and down the river.

River travel settled this place. There were no roads in early Snohomish, only winding, muddy paths cut through the woods. Ferguson reminisced in an interview later in life about his first trip upriver in 1860:

“The Snohomish River was at the time a very weird place, the trees along the banks with their long branches extending out over the river, in many places meeting, with long strings of moss hanging from the branches, which nearly shut out the sunlight” (Dilgard).

The authors of River Reflections (Vol. 1) list the names of 69 steamships that answered the call to move both passengers and freight -- and the mail! The idiosyncrasies of the ships, the personalities of their captains, and the moods of the river were reported on extensively in the newspapers. And if column inches of ink in the Estrella del Norte (est. 1876), and later The Eye (est. 1882) were tallied up, the sternwheeler Nellie would come out the favorite.

First Plat and First School

In 1868, Emory C. Ferguson married Lucetta Morgan (1849-1907) from Olympia, Washington, and three years later, they platted their claim, giving streets running east-west a number, and the north-south-running avenues a letter whereas, the following year, Woodbury and Mary Sinclair, named the avenues of their eastern claim after trees. Three months later, on June 5, 1872, Woodbury B. Sinclair (1826-1872) died of unknown causes, leaving Mary to raise two children whose estate now owned half of the newly named city. Her first official act as guardian of the estate was to donate three acres that bordered along the Pilchuck River for the city’s first cemetery formally governed by an association (today the site is suspected to have been a well-established Indian burial ground).

Mary is reverently remembered as the “mother” of Snohomish Schools for opening her home as the first classroom and donating land for the first schools. In 1869, the county superintendent paid Miss Ruby Willard $188.59 for three months of school held in the Sinclair home for some 20 students ranging in ages from 4 to 21. Since many of the children attending school in her home were of mixed marriages, it follows that Mary Sinclair became proficient in the indigenous language and dialects, so much so, that she was often called upon to translate for visiting government officials and reporters. For example, in 1920, when a reporter from Seattle’s Post-Intelligencer called on Snohomish’s most famous Native American resident, Pilchuck Julia, Mary Sinclair went along as translator. The resulting article estimated Julia’s age to be about 80 years: "[S]he is very energetic, cultivates her garden, fishes in the Pilchuck river, and regularly walks to Snohomish, a distance of nearly two miles.” Julia died in 1923.

Atheneum Society

Shortly after Snohomish was officially named and a school begun, a meeting was held “to organize what was one of the most unique and noteworthy literary associations in the early history of Washington territory” (Whitfield). Most likely, the inspirational leader of the Atheneum Society was Dr. Albert C. Folsom (1827-1885), a former army surgeon with experience in the Civil War, who, now in his 40s, arrived in town with a scientific collection of more than 100 fossils, gems, and bones plus, it seems, the first doctor of Snohomish County arrived with a broken heart from a failed marriage back in Wisconsin -- so it was explained upon his death in a moving elegy written by his friend Eldridge Morse (1847-1914), who looked upon Folsom, with his two degrees from Harvard, as a mentor.

Morse, a young lawyer from the Midwest, just happened to fall into a conversation with Ferguson in Seattle, which resulted in him moving his young family to the riverside settlement to become its first lawyer. A month later, Folsom arrived in town, and within two years, the first doctor and the first lawyer of early Snohomish produced the first handwritten newsletter of the Atheneum Society, which continued on a twice-monthly basis for a year and a half and led to the founding of the first newspaper, The Northern Star, in 1876.

Society members also pooled their private collection of books to establish the county’s first lending library, then embarked on the ambitious plan to build a two-story building, named the Atheneum, to house their collection of some 300 books, Folsom’s scientific specimens, and a grand meeting hall on the second floor. The women of early Snohomish supported this vision by somehow purchasing an upright piano, the first one in the city, which is still available for use to this day at the local library.

Snohomish Logging Personalities

The first board milled at the first mill in Snohomish was ceremoniously used in the Atheneum building. The Bennett & Witter Mill began operation on the Pilchuck River in 1876. Ferguson was an owner for a short while but sold it to his father-in-law, Hiram D. Morgan (1822-1906), and the mill was in business well into the new century as the Morgan Brothers Lumber and Shingle Mill.

Isaac Cathcart (1845-1909) most likely arrived in town following a footpath through the forest rather than by steamship. A large-framed Irishman, recently from Michigan, who immigrated in 1864, Cathcart had been working in the county since 1869, felling trees in isolated logging camps. He arrived in town four years later with enough money saved to build the Exchange Hotel at the west end of town. It stood across the street from the unfinished Atheneum building, which he eventually purchased from the suddenly bankrupt society, renaming it the Cathcart Opera House. By 1890, Cathcart owned his own logging business, a store on the first floor of his opera house, and several large farms. He served as county treasurer, eventually becoming the richest man in the county.

The Blackman Brothers -- Alanson, Elhanan, and Hyrcanus -- filed for bankruptcy in Bradley, Maine, and migrated west with their wives -- Elizabeth, Francis and Ella -- to the rich Snohomish River Valley of the new Washington Territory, where the stories of the giant trees must have seemed like tales from the bible. They established their first logging camp around 1875 on Stillaguamish Lake, which today is ringed with expensive homes for the most part and renamed Blackman Lake to honor the first family of Snohomish’s lumber industry. Their first mill was located at the river, west of Avenue D, an easy walk from the lakeside camp.

This mill is where they began cutting shingles with Elhanan’s invention of a tripper shingle machine, in which a carriage holding a block of cedar is tripped by a rachet action, moving the block in and out from the saw, creating a shingle with each pass. Within two years, the mill was producing 10 million shingles a year. The brothers introduced the first drying kiln, used to reduce the weight of the lumber. A dried bundle of shingles, for example, weighs 60 pounds less than a bundle of green ones, and the fact of lower freight charges only increased the popularity of Snohomish’s red cedar shakes on the East Coast.

And to get the huge cedar logs out of the forest, Alanson and Elhanan invented a steam-powered logging engine capable of pulling several loaded log trucks on wooden tracks -- tracks that were quick to install over uneven terrain, and proved very popular with logging operations as far south as Olympia. Hyrcanus, the youngest brother, kept the books and involved himself in the civic affairs of the new town, wining the first election for mayor of the newly incorporated city in 1890 -- receiving 218 votes to Ferguson’s 164.

Hyrcanus died in the home he built at 118 Avenue B in 1921, just a few months after his 37-year-old son Clifford was taken by the 1919 flu epidemic. Eunice, Hyrcanus's and Ella’s only daughter, lived in the home with her husband, Dr. William Ford. Eunice survived William by many years. She died at her daughter’s home in California, but not before agreeing to sell the family home to the newly formed Snohomish Historical Society in 1970.

In Everett's Shadow

The Seattle Heraldo reported in 1884 that Snohomish was an old town of about 700 inhabitants, with a two-story courthouse, a new sawmill producing 20,000 feet of lumber each day, one good school building, six saloons, and one church (and that church had a bell). Products as listed by the Heraldo were “fruit, logs, hay and skating rinks” -- there were two. When the first train pulled into the new Snohomish station on Lincoln Street four years later, the city boasted a million dollar economy -- fourth largest on Puget Sound.

On May 23, 1888, the four-star, three-story Penobscot Hotel opened and that date should be remembered as the beginning of Snohomish’s life in the shadow of a young town growing to the west. The harbor town was founded by men bringing money from the east -- the same money that paid for their individually heated rooms, the largest one facing 1st Street -- and the men named their nascent town after one of their sons, Everett. Ten years later, in 1897, Snohomish lost the county seat to the ambitious new town following a bitter, three-year contest of civic wills fought in smoky backrooms, voting booths, and the courts, until finally the records were moved to Everett in the middle of night using 37 horse-drawn wagons.

By the beginning of the new century, the handsome courthouse, built of brick from Snohomish’s own brickyard, found new life as the Snohomish High School. It was filled with the sounds of bells and laughter for the next 30 years until it had to come down. The historic first city on the river continued to grow as a logging and agriculture center, while quietly thankful perhaps that it had been spared the worst of urban growth about to arrive via Eisenhower’s National System of Interstate and Defense Highways.

E. C. Ferguson’s son, Cecil, and Cecil's wife, Clara, founded the Ferguson Canning Company in 1914 to take advantage of the excellent fruit-growing conditions of the climate and soil. However, the fruit-growing season is short, so the company expanded to preserve in cans corn, smoked fish, and even clams. Innovations continued as Emory A., then his brother Burdett, joined the company, so that by the time the Seattle World’s Fair came around in 1962, they were ready with a new item called “Puget Sound Air” -- a legal canning of air -- sporting an unique label, and now a prized collectors’ item.

Noble Harvey, son of John who took possession of the claim on the south bank in 1860, established a family-owned airfield in 1945, which the family still operates as Harvey Airfield. Noble had a long tradition of firsts beginning with his birth as the first boy born to white parents. In 1911, Nobel purchased the first automobile in the county, the same year he hosted the first airplane flight. Fred J. Wiseman, who held the record for a sustained flight of more than six minutes, arrived by train with his Curtiss-Farman-Wright biplane, billed as the “Fastest Machine in the World” -- once it's unloaded and reassembled of course. Wiseman’s flight in Snohomish was cut short by rain-soaked, fabric-covered wings and it ended in a muddy but safe nose-dive after reaching only 60 feet in altitude. The amazing machine was repaired, continued to break records, and is currently hanging in the Smithsonian Postal Museum as the first plane to carry the mail.

In the late forties, the Poier Motors building at 1105 First Street collapsed into the river due to a foundation compromised by repeated flooding. For some 15 years, the block-long row of brick storefront buildings sat empty, boarded up, until the city planners found some urban renewal funds to study the future of the historic downtown core. The architect’s fancy drawings were finally presented at a citywide meeting on October 21, 1965, and it proposed tearing down the old buildings, opening up the south side of First Street to the river, and remodeling the remaining buildings to give Snohomish the look of an up-to-date riverside mall. The Planning Commission rejected the proposal. Community feelings were probably summed up in one sentence from an editorial in the Snohomish County Tribune that read, “Snohomish hasn’t sunk that low, yet.”

Historic Snohomish Today

This was the same year, 1965, that Snohomish began its growth north by annexing the southern section of the Bickford Corridor named after Bickford Avenue, which in turn is named in honor of the family owned Ford dealership initially located on 1st Street, a block west from Poier’s Chevrolet store. On the eve of Snohomish celebrating 150 years since its founding, the city’s first super shopping mall, Snohomish Station, will open on this road, five miles north of the river on the site of a former gravel quarry. A second high school to the south will be open by then, alongside a new elementary school to serve a school-district population of more than 40,000 students.

And it was the late sixties, after the boarded-up buildings on 1st Street were finally torn down and the riverside park was created in their place, that a group of citizens met in the basement of the 1910 Carnegie Library to start a historical society. This led to the first appointment and election of two women to the city council, Anne Eason and Ione Gale, who successfully supported the society’s proposal to establish Snohomish’s Historic District. Since 1973, a 26-block area has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places Snohomish was the first city government of the county to pass an ordinance establishing such a district. This also led to the establishment of the Design Review Board.

The recently organized Historic Downtown Snohomish organization is working with the national Main Street Program and collecting assessments to re-energize what was once the heart not only of the city but of Snohomish County as well. Today the Snohomish River continues to rise and fall with phases of the moon and drainage of the North Cascade Mountain Range 60 miles to the east, just as each generation walking the River Trail (completed in 2006) will come to understand the river as the gift of nature that created the city of Snohomish.

Henry M. Jackson Foundation

Snohomish River, downriver looking west, with town of Snohomish on north bank, ca. 1885

Photo by Horton, Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society, (Image No.FS028)

Snohomish River Trail (completed April 2006), looking west, Snohomish, 2007

Photo by Warner Blake, Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society.

Modified 1855 Government Land Office map showing homesteads, Snohomish City

Courtesy Bureau of Land Management

Snoqualmie Chief Patkanim (ca. 1808-1858), ca. 1855

Photo by George N. Moore, Courtesy MOHAI (SHS1679)

Ferguson's Blue Eagle Saloon (l.), Sinclair/Clendenning store (r.), Snohomish City or Cadyville, 1865

Photo by Sammis, Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image SG002)

Snohomish looking north across the river, 1884

Photo by Palace Floating Gallery, Courtesy Everett Public Library (Image No. 0169)

Sternwheeler Nellie, Ferguson's Wharf with Cathcart's Exchange Hotel behind, Snohomish, 1877

Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No.BO008)

Bruhn and Henry merchants warehouse, located on site of Ferguson's Wharf, Snohomish, ca. 1900

Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No. FS017)

Snohomish River ferry, looking south, ca. 1885

Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No. RI-005)

Ferry Alki, first steamship built for river travel, ca. 1885

Photo by Horton, Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No. BO001)

Celebrating harvest at John Harvey's hops barn, Snohomish, 1884

Courtesy Mike Barnhart and Donna Harvey

Emory and Lucetta Ferguson plat, Shohomish, filed 1871

Courtesy Everett Public Library

Woodbury and Mary Low Sinclair's plat, Snohomish, 1872.

Courtesy Everett Public Library

Avenue D at 2nd Street, Snohomish, 1885

Photo by Horton, Courtesy Snohomish County Museum

1st Street looking east at Avenue D, Snohomish, ca. 1885

Photo by Horton, Courtesy Snohomish County Museum

Snohomish Atheneum (1876), pictured here after it was sold to Isaac Cathcart, Snohomish, ca. 1878

Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No. FS029)

Cover of handwritten newsletter, The Shillalah, Snohomish, 1874

Courtesy UW Special Collections (Athena Papers, acc. 4601)

Eldridge Morse

Courtesy Noel Bourasaw, SkagitRiverJournal.com

Blackman Brothers logging operation, Snohomish, ca. 1880

Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No.LG053)

Lithograph, Blackman Brothers, 1889

Courtesy Everett Public Library

Blackman Mill on Snohomish River, ca. 1885

Photo by Horton. Snohomish County Museum

Blackman Brothers Railway, with wooden tracks, ca. 1885

Photo by Peiser, Snohomish Historical Society (Image No.RR001)

Hotel Penobscot, Snohomish, 1890

Courtesy UW Special Collections (Image No. 979.595 sm v8)

Seattle, Lake Shore & Eastern Railroad bridge (1888), Snohomish River, Snohomish, n.d.

Courtesy UW Special Collections (UW18022)

Bruhn and Henry Market, 1st Street, Snohomish, ca. 1890

Photo by Douglas, Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No. FI005)

Cecil Ferguson, Snohomish, ca. 1900

Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No. PE100)

Grocery, Snohomish, ca. 1910

Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No. BU159)

Can of Pure Puget Sound Air packaged by Ferguson Canning Co. (Snohomish) for 1962 World's Fair, 2008

Photo by Warner Blake, Courtesy Gary Ferguson

Fred Wiseman making first airplane flight in Snohomish County, May 7, 1911


Local Case Counts

We update confirmed and probable case numbers for the county and by city weekly. Hospital data is updated each weekday. Depending on when you check the tables, numbers may vary from those reported by the state Department of Health. Because new reports of positive tests come in and disease investigations are done throughout the week, the numbers vary based on when the data is run. Please check the "Data as of" or "Last Updated" note to confirm the most current number.

Case Count (cumulative since Jan. 2020) Last Updated: 2:25 p.m. 6/14/21 Change from 6/07/21
Confirmed 36,963 +298
Probable 3,358 +49
Fallecidos 603 +6*

Note: “Probable” cases include close contacts of a confirmed case who become symptomatic, positive antigen test, or positive serology/antibody test AND a credible history of COVID-like illness. For full definition of a "Probable" case, please see the Department of Health guidance.

** Based on what is reported to the Health District daily, and a weekly reconciliation with state Department of Health data.

To better align with the Washington State Department of Health’s data dashboard, the Snohomish Health District has incorporated positive antigen results into case reporting.

Effective April 19, the weekly case count update now includes a bar chart with total positive cases for the week broken into molecular and antigen cases. The rolling 2-week case rate has also been updated to incorporate antigen cases going back in time. This recalibration has resulted in a slight increase in rolling 2-week case rates.

Antigen test results are still positive cases, but conducted through rapid tests rather than molecular testing doing at laboratories. This addition of antigen-positive cases is not what’s driving the observed increase in the rolling 2-week COVID rate. The overall increase in case rates is due to increased transmission. Only 18% of confirmed cases over the past month are antigen-positive cases.


Snohomish County Historic Sites

The Places of the Past collection contains annotated photographs documenting the history of the buildings and places of Snohomish County. The Project draws on photograph collections and expertise from county heritage organizations and the Everett Public Library in an Internet-accessible image database format.

The photographs are primarily of individual buildings but may include street views, cultural landscapes, sites of historic events, roadways, or even some historic ships. The images will include but not be limited to places currently on National, State, and local registers and districts of historic places.

This project is sponsored by the League of Snohomish County Heritage Organizations and the Everett Public Library. Other contributing organizations include the Everett Historical Commission, Snohomish County Historical Commission, Snohomish County Planning & Development Department, and individual League member organizations.

Hear former Everett Public Library Historian David Dilgard talk about the Snohomish County Courthouse and Forgotten Creek.


Snohomish County: An Illustrated History Book

It took ten years but the amazing book on the history of Snohomish County, Washington, is now available. “Snohomish County: An Illustrated History” features 432 pages packed with geological, environmental, historical, social, and political history of Snohomish County. There are 400 photographs, maps, and topical sidebars with many illustrations by local artist Bernie Webber.

Project coordinators and editors were David Cameron, Charles LeWarne, Allan May, Jack O’Donnell, and Larry O’Donnell. Many contributions were made by local historians, experts, and genealogists to make this the most extensive county historical book ever. The last one was written by William Whitfiled in 1926.

The book is available through the Museum of Snohomish County History (425-259-2022), Pilchuck Books (425-303-0345) and many local stores and shops in Everett, Snohomish, Lake Stevens, Monroe, and Marysville.

Having grown up in Snohomish County, the book is especially important to me because of my family’s strong connection with the area.

On the Elwell side of the Knapp family, we can trace our roots back to Chief Seattle of the Suquamish tribe. His sister, Gow-Gue-Wait, our ancestor, married into the Snohomish Tribe. Even today, her descendants live in Snohomish County.

The book talks about the whites struggling for dominance and control of the Pacific Northwest Indians, which eventually resulted in many of the local Indian tribes and peoples being forced onto land set aside for them in the area of Tulalip, which borders Snohomish County to the northwest.

John Elwell (1841-1895), who married Guaquiath Kektidose of the Snohomish tribe and daughter of Gow-Gue-Wait, was among the first men to see the “gold in them thar trees” and helped developing the logging industry. His sons, Charles and Simon Elwell, worked the Snohomish and Skagit Rivers, as well as the whole waterway of Puget Sound building boats and ferries, and hauling logs, supplies, and passengers up and down the rivers.

They are also mentioned on page 112 regarding the building of the town of Monroe, Washington:

Residents also participated in railroad construction activities. Barges 60 feet long and six to eight feet wide were filled with supplies and towed upriver by mules. Two brothers, Simon and Charles Elwell, built a 44-foot canoe to carry materials for railroad construction. Reportedly, the huge craft could hold up to 4,700 pounds.

The Knapp family also has its roots strongly embedded in Snohomish County, marrying into the Elwell, Odell, and Handley pioneer families. The Knapp brothers had grown up in the logging camps of Northern Wisconsin, so they came with experience and strong backs to work the rivers and logging camps with the Elwell family.

The West family also has a long tradition as part of the history of Snohomish County. Howard West Sr. and his son, Howard West Jr., lived their lives in the Pacific Northwest between Oregon and Washington. Howard Sr. called Everett, Washington, his home since not long after World War I. He worked on the lighthouses and dams throughout Washington State for all of his adult life, serving in the Coast Guard and Lighthouse Service, after an early stint with the Marines.

“Snohomish County: An Illustrated History” is a valuable resource to help us understand all of the cultural, political, and societal issues going on during the times of our ancestors. I learned of the political battles that overthrew the town of Mukilteo, where I spent my teenage years, as center of Snohomish County to the town of Snohomish, which was later taken over by Everett, as an open port city and military base, and eventually the home of Boeing.

Snohomish County has a very diverse and mixed history, not all pretty, but not all terrible, and gives us a chance to see what it was like for our ancestors as they struggled to survive in a tough new wilderness.


Washington State Records

Snohomish County recorded 968 violent crimes and 16,463 property crimes in 2015, the most recent year with a complete set of crime statistics. These figures represent a 3.1% increase in violent crimes and an 0.7% drop in property crime over the last year five years. Violent crime incidences in the county in 2015 include 9 murders, 108 rapes, 551 aggravated assaults, and 300 robberies. In the same period, Snohomish County also recorded 2,409 burglaries, 12,090 larcenies, 1,964 vehicle thefts, and 69 arsons.

Compared to 2011 crime data, murder (12.5%), aggravated assault (4.4%), larceny (1%), and vehicle theft (15.9%) rates went up in Snohomish County. The five-year crime trend also reveals lower incidences of rape (12.9%), robbery (7.9%), burglary (17.5%), and arson (28.1%).

In accordance with the state’s Public Records Act, the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office makes traffic collision reports and other non-confidential police records available upon request. Use the Public Request Portal to submit a request for these records. The Sheriff’s Office also accepts email requests sent to [email protected] Send a fax request to (425) 388-3939.

Requesters may also visit the Sheriff’s Office in Everett or one of its precincts. The Sheriff’s Office is located at 3000 Rockefeller Avenue, MS 606, 4th Floor Courthouse, Everett, WA. Mail requests should go to this address.

The Sheriff’s Office charges 15 cents per page for copies of records requested. The fee for scanned copies is 10 cents per page while there is a charge of 5 cents for every four electronic files uploaded via email or cloud storage or transferred to CD, DVD, or flash drive. The Sheriff charges $1.50 for a physical CD, $1.60 for a DVD, and $7 for a flash drive. The fees do not include postage charges for physical records. Cash, check, and money order are acceptable forms of payment. Snohomish County Sheriff waives charges if the total fee for obtaining a record is less than $1.

Criminal Records

In accordance with Washington State Community Protection Act of 1990, the Sheriff’s Office is responsible for registering and tracking sex offenders living in Snohomish County. It contributes these information to a statewide registry and also makes them available to the public. To find registered sex offenders residing and working in Snohomish County, visit the County Sheriff’s OffenderWatch page. The Offender Search portal allows anyone to search the sex offender database by name, city, and zip code. It also provides information about non-compliant offenders.

The Snohomish County Sheriff is the official in charge of maintaining all jail records for the county. Since most inmate records are not public records, the Sheriff’s Office only provides these confidential information directly to inmates and third-party requesters with court orders. To obtain inmate records, complete the Authorization for Release of Inmate Records and send it to:

Snohomish County Corrections
Attn: Records Requests
3000 Rockefeller Ave., M/S 509
Everett, WA 98201

The Sheriff’s Office also accepts email and fax requests. Email the completed form to [email protected] or fax it to (425) 339-2244. There is a different release form for inmates’ medical records. Print and fill out the Authorization for Use and Disclosure of Health Care Information form and send it to:

Snohomish County Corrections
Attn: Medical Records Requests
3000 Rockefeller Ave., M/S 509
Everett, WA 98201

Alternatively, send an electronic copy of the completed form to [email protected] or fax it to (425) 339-5326. The Sheriff’s Office charges 15 cents per page for documents that are longer than 10 pages. The fee for each color booking photo is 25 cents while the charge for a CD with electronic files is $1.50. Include postage for paper and CD copies. Accepted forms of payment include cash, cashier’s check, and money order. Make cashier’s checks and money orders payable to Snohomish County Corrections.

While most inmate records are not publicly available, looking up an inmate is a freely available service. Consult the Jail Register on the County Sheriff’s websiteto search for inmates incarcerated in the Snohomish County Jail as well as Lynnwood Municipal Jail and Marysville Municipal Jail.

Registros de la corte

Snohomish County District Court Records are available upon request by mail and in person. For an in-person request, visit any of these four locations of District Court:

Cascade Division (North County)
415 E Burke Ave.
Arlington, WA 98223
Everett Division (Central County)
3000 Rockefeller Ave.
M/S 508
Everett, WA 98201
Evergreen Division (East County)
14414 179th Ave. SE
Monroe, WA 98272
South Division (South County)
20520 68th Ave. W.
Lynnwood, WA 98036

All four locations are open to the public from Monday to Friday between 8:15 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. For mail, email, and fax requests, start by downloading and completing the Request for Court Records form. Email it to Public Disclosure at [email protected] or fax it to (425) 388-3411 x6999. When making a request by mail, send the completed form to:

Snohomish County District Court
Public Relations Officer
Shawnee Schaeffer
20520 68th Ave. W.
Lynnwood, WA 98036

The District Court charges 50 cents per page for non-certified copies of court records. For certified copies of a court record, there is a $5 for the first page and $1 per page for the rest of the document.

The Superior Court Clerk is the official responsible for maintaining the records of Snohomish County Superior Court. The Clerk provides online access to the court’s electronic records on the Washington State Digital Archives. Available records include documents for civil, adult criminal, domestic, and probate/guardianship cases. Requesters need to provide case numbers to find the right records in the Archives. They can find these numbers using the Washington Courts – Records Search portal.

There is a $1 access fee when obtaining records through the Digital Archives. Non-certified copies attract an additional 50 cents per page charge. For certified copies, requesters have to pay $5 for the first page and then $1 for each additional page plus $5 per 50 pages for mailing.

Registros Públicos

The Vital Records Office of the Snohomish County Health District issues birth and death certificates for the county. To obtain one of these records, visit the Vital Records Office located at 3020 Rucker Avenue, Suite 104, Everett, WA. The office opens between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. from Monday to Friday. To fulfil an order on the same day, requesters must arrive at the office no later than 4:00 p.m.

To request for these vital records by mail, download and complete a Birth Certificate Order Form or a Death Certificate Order Form. Mail this to:

Vital Records Office
3020 Rucker Avenue, Suite 104
Everett, WA 98201

The Vital Records Office accepts cash, check, and debit/credit cards for in-person requests. Only check and money order are accepted for mail requests. Make these payable to Snohomish Health District. The fee for each birth or death certificate is $20. The Health District also charges $8 for records searched for but not found.

The Snohomish County Auditor’s Office issues certified copies of marriage records. The office is on the first floor of the Robert J. Drewel Building and opens from Monday to Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. The County Auditor also accepts mail requests sent to:

Snohomish County Auditor’s Office
3000 Rockefeller Ave., M/S 204
Everett, WA 98201

The County Auditor charges $3 for each certified copy of a marriage license. There is an additional charge of $8 for searching marriage records made before 1976. Mail requests should include 50 cents for postage and handling. Fees are payable by check made out to Snohomish County Auditor.

Snohomish County Record Availability

Snohomish criminal, law enforcement, court, and vital records are available online and/or physically. Some of these records are only accessible after paying certain fees and/or completing application forms. Overall, the ease of finding and obtaining public records for Snohomish County is moderate. Consider using a time-saving online record-finder servicesuch as the search function offered by State Records when looking for elusive records for the county.


The Edmonds Historical Museum is a private non-profit organization established in 1973 by volunteers to collect, preserve and display the historical origins of the City of Edmonds and surrounding area. As an actively collecting institution, the Edmonds Historical Museum has amassed over 26,000 objects, documents, and photographs representing the history and heritage of Edmonds and the greater south Snohomish County area.

The museum is located in Edmonds’ historic 1910 Carnegie Library building at 118 5th Avenue North. This building served as the local library from 1911 until 1962, and from 1962 until 1972 was used by the City’s Parks and Recreation Department. On August 3, 1973, the Edmonds Historical Museum opened its doors to the public and serves as a repository for community donations of historic items as well as a showcase of exhibits related to local and regional history.

Though the museum’s mission has evolved over time, we are still dedicated to the core values of our origins: sharing and promoting the history of our community. This is achieved through research, collection and preservation of historical documents, artifacts, memories and events, and by utilizing interpretative displays and engaging in creative public educational programming.


Ver el vídeo: Snohomish,WA 4K (Julio 2022).


Comentarios:

  1. Gohn

    ¡Fascinantemente! ¿Simplemente no puedo entender con qué frecuencia se actualiza el blog?

  2. Khuzaymah

    Qué frase más comprensiva

  3. Eadward

    Creo que no tienes razón. Lo discutiremos. Escribe en PM, hablaremos.

  4. Hanbal

    Hay algo en esto. Muchas gracias por la explicación, ahora lo sabré.

  5. Abdikarim

    Maldita sea, ¿por qué quedan tan pocos buenos blogs? Este está más allá de la competencia.

  6. Ramadan

    Absolutamente de acuerdo contigo. En esto es, parece que esta es la buena idea. Estoy de acuerdo contigo.

  7. Jasmin

    Maravilloso, esta es una opinión muy valiosa



Escribe un mensaje